Health Minister Dr. Frank Anthony said that after dealing with an increase in dengue infections over the past few weeks, it looks that cases are finally declining. “We still have cases, but there has been a noticeable drop. Dr. Anthony spoke to the media on Wednesday and said, “We continue to test around the country and we have given the health centers, hospitals, and so forth quick test kits.”
He said that the Health Ministry had given the medical facilities enough fast testing kits, and that as soon as those were used up, new ones were sent. Therefore, he asserted that the decrease in cases isn’t the result of fewer tests being performed. Additionally, Dr. Anthony said the ministry conducted two rounds of fogging in most areas in an attempt to exterminate mosquitoes.
Last week, the Ministry of Health confirmed that 11 people died after they were infected with the mosquito-borne disease this year. Six children were among those 11 deaths. The Health Ministry, via a press release, also noted that a total of 239 people were hospitalized for the year so far after grappling with the disease.
Dengue is a mosquito-borne disease and its symptoms include high fevers, head and body aches and nausea. The World Health Organization (WHO) said these increased infections are, in part, linked to global warming. Increased temperatures are said to be conducive for the breeding of the Aedes aegypti mosquito which spreads the disease and thrives in stagnant water.